Wednesday 27 August 2014

The book series that doesn't stop growing!


There's always that one series you and your book bff love to hate and for Louise and I that's the Selection series by Kiera Cass.

My reviews love it, I did love it but now I love to bash it! Yes I am talking about outgrowing that series that you start as a naive teenager and end it as an adult or something like that. Nah the series just makes me tick.
“Which do you fight for?"
"Actually, I'm here by mistake." 
"Mistake?" 
"Yes. Sort of. Well, it's a long story. And now ... I'm here” 
― Kiera CassThe Selection
Okay so this is a small quote I found to support myself here. America, the protagonist, enters what we know as the bachelorette and the prize is to marry a prince! It already sounds so wonderful and we've all seen a episode of the bachelorette or beauty and the geek right? So you can guess the amount of bitchiness that would go on in such a competition. The girls in this are all set apart by class structures. It's really just Hunger Games in the fight to win and survive except if they get sent home, they're still alive and booted to a higher class so it's a win-win situation. However there's a message in the books that I don't believe in. Since when is it okay for a boy, a man to say I love you to a girl, to make her think she's going ot be his best friend and eventually make her queen of their fictional land and then turn around and treat her like rubbish by leading on another girl all because she used to love another guy. It's a stupid and horrible message for girls everywhere and it makes us girls seem like we're just silly little barbie dolls all ready to be seen and not be heard.

Recently the series just published the supposedly last book in the series which was titled The One. As you can guess, it was meant to be the last of the series where we'd finally discover who will marry the prince and live happily ever after but it still contains trivial parts that made me laugh and regret pre-ordering the book. Now I've just discovered she's publishing not one but two more books in the series and that makes me sad. I just want it to be over and I can't not read these sequels, I need them in order to carry on laughing and joking about the series with my book bff

No comments:

Post a Comment