Friday 19 February 2016

The Taming of the Drew by Stephanie Kate Strohm

The Taming of the Drew by Stephanie Kate Strohm

Published by: Sky Pony Press
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Rating: Four Star

A huge thank you to Sky Pony for letting me read this in advance.

I wasn't too sure what to expect from this other than a retelling of Shakespeare in a contemporary way. My expectations were medium to low as I remembered that I'd requested this from Sky Pony. But as I devoured the book, I was impressed.

The Taming of the Drew follows Cass McKay as she plays the character of Kate from the Taming of the Shrew (Remember 10 things I hate about you? That's the same plot there minus Heath Ledger). It follows her ups and downs as a camper and actor and her joining up with fellow campers to cause chaos at the camp. It's quirky and funny. I didn't think it would be as much as it is but the book is genuinely fantastic.

Cass's world is rocked when she meets Drew. He's like the boy we all hate but secretly love. The pair of them literally become modern day versions of their characters and its all a little cliche as it goes along. We all know how it ends but I think the development of Cass as a character is quite good. She's not as annoying in the end. Yes that was my initial view of her but camp changes her. Life changes us all and it's just who we are. Strohm captures how even a summer can change a teenagers life and how the addition of annoying boys can be both good and bad.

The Taming of the Drew will be available to buy from the 5th April 2016.



No comments:

Post a Comment