Thursday 30 October 2014

Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall by Kazuo Ishiguro

Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall by Kazuo Ishiguro


Well. 

I love Ishiguro's writing style. He just writes beautifully and his work makes me happy. Nocturnes was five stories of different characters and different tales that contain music and as it says nightfall. 

The most memorable story was about a young gentleman who played guitar and sees his mother's idol in Italy. He speaks to him, gushes about his later mother and meets the man's wife. You later discover they're separating and the idol asks the gentleman to perform one of his songs with him and it's really emotional. I wept a little as it hit me and yeah. 

My second story that stayed with me was the tale in which a middle aged man was mistreated by his friends, a couple. They continue to misuse him and even treat him like an invalid. The worst part he lets them. I found the part in where he pretends a dog gets in was highly strange but I found myself chuckling at his misfortune. I also felt terrible for chuckling. 

Maybe that's how Ishiguro positions us? I haven't a clue but it was a beautiful book, the other three stories were great, they didn't stick with me like these but I have to give you something to read in the book. 










No comments:

Post a Comment